As I go about my daily life here in America, I notice things that I really like about this country.
Here are some:
- You can get a proper healthy breakfast almost anywhere here. There must be a profitable business to be made opening a decent breakfast venue in London – selling fruit, porridge, pancakes, omlettes etc.
- Access for disabled people is taken much more seriously. Offices, shops, transport and other services provide access; and as a result you see many more disabled people around who are able to live independent lives.
- You get a glass of iced water when you sit down in a restaurant – without being asked or charged. And they don’t make a fuss if you want tap water with your meal rather than bottled water.
- Americans care about freedom and rights. They talk about them and they are prepared to stand up to their government to protect them. (They are somewhat less vigilant about the rights of foreigners.)
- American dentistry is better than in England. (I’ve changed my mind about this in the light of experience of both.)