My ha’porth on the House of Lords:*
1. Don’t stop here. Just because the hereditary peers are largely gone does not mean we have ended up where we want to be.
2. Elect the upper chamber in rotation – eg a third of the house every 2 years. With fixed election dates.
3. Have non-geographic constituencies. Base them on other characteristics such as occupation (doctors, financial services, retailing) and activities (churches, sports clubs, motorists, geeks) and let members of those interest groups elect people to represent them. We all have interests other than where we live.
4. Cut the crap from both Houses: no more wigs & tights, archaic processions, Black Rod, voting lobbies, "Right Honourable and Learned Friend", late nights. etc.
* Note for American readers: "ha’porth" = "my 2 cents" though the exchange rate was different in those days.