In today’s Dubai marathon, Ethiopians had 8 out of the top 10 men, and 8 of the top 10 women. That is a quite extraordinary domination of the sport. Here is Reuters:
Gebrselassie wins wet Dubai Marathon (Reuters)
DUBAI- Haile Gebrselassie produced a classic performance to win the rain-hit Dubai Marathon on Friday, though well outside his own world best time.
The Ethiopian missed out on a million dollar jackpot for breaking the world record, finishing in two hours, five minutes and 29 seconds.
Gebrselassie set the world’s quickest time of 2:03:59 in Berlin last year after opting out of the Beijing Olympics but wet conditions ruined any hopes of a repeat.
He earned $250,000 for his latest victory, leading an Ethiopian sweep of the podium with Deressa Chimsa (2:07:54) and Eshetu Wendimu Tsige (2:08:41) trailing him in Dubai.
“That’s one of the best races I’ve run in such weather conditions,” Gebrselassie told reporters after retaining his Dubai title. “I was doing pretty well until the 30km mark.
“But then things became a little bit difficult because of the rain and that made the difference. But it was wonderful to clock this time in such conditions.”
Dubai Marathon results
Leading results from Friday’s Dubai Marathon: Men
1. Haile Gebrselassie, Ethiopia, 2 hours, 5 minutes, 29 seconds.
2. Deressa Edae Chimsa, Ethiopia, 2:07:54.
3. Eshetu Wendimu Tsige, Ethiopia, 2:08:41.
4. Gashaw Melese Asfaw, Ethiopia, 2:10:59.
5. Dereje Tesfaye Gebrehiwot, Ethiopia, 2:11:42.
6. David Kemboi Murkomen, Kenya, 2:12:14.
7. Mesfin Admasu Abebe, Ethiopia, 2:12:.23.
8. Tesfaye Tola, Ethiopia, 2:12:56.
9. Asnake Fikadu Roro, Ethiopia, 2:15:01.
10. Nephat Ngotho Kinyanjui, Kenya, 2:15:23.
1. Bezunesh Bekele Sertsu, Ethiopia, 2:24:02.
2. Atsede Habtamu Besuye, Ethiopia, 2:25:17.
3. Helena Loshanyang Kirop, Kenya, 2:25:35.
4. Tatyana Petrova, Russia, 2:25:53.
5. Genet Getaneh Wendimagegnehu, Ethiopia, 2:26:37.
6. Eyerusalem Kuma Mutal, Ethiopia, 2:26:51.
7. Berhane Adere Debela, Ethiopia, 2:27:47.
8. Shuru Diriba Dulume, Ethiopia, 2:28:26.
9. Atsede Baysa Tesema, Ethiopia, 2:29:13.
10. Mulu Seboka Seyfu, Ethiopia, 2:30:10.